Due to the shortcomings of the current Realtek 81xx Hackintosh drivers (such as lack of or limited support of 8111E, 32/64-bit, sleep issues), I endeavored to port the Linux RTL81xx driver to OS X.
RealtekRTL81xx.kext is the result of this work, and it fully supports the RTL8168/RTL8111 family of NICs.
After weeks of coding, compiling, rebooting and debugging this, I can proudly say that it's now ready for prime time !
Some highlights of the issues it fixes, and features provided are:
- Support for the following Realtek chips:
- RTL8168 / RTL8168B / RTL8168C
- RTL8111 / RTL8111B / RTL8111C / RTL8111CP / RTL8111D / RTL8111D(L) / RTL8111DP / RTL8111E
- Full 32-bit and 64-bit support
- Fixed Sleep/Wake issues
- Improved Auto-Negotiation
- Implemented negotiated-media reporting
- Improved stability and performance
- Numerous unreported/minor bug fixes
Over 80 members of the tonymacx86 Forum participated in 6 restricted beta-testing cycles, testing it on several platforms, P55, H55, X58.
November 12, 2010 Update: Now available as an Installer Package !
For more details, head on to the Realtek RTL81xx Mac OS X Driver project page.